Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Tournament Golf - Gallery Help

A while ago, I was playing golf with my friend Anthony and he hit his tee shot Tiger right out of bounds.

After several minutes of looking for his ball, he emerged empty-handed. He promptly reached into his bag for a new Pro V1 and dropped it near the area where his ball entered OB.

I asked him, "So, aren't you supposed to go back and hit a ball from the tee?"
"Nah, I'll just drop from here," he said, looking for a yardage marker.
"So you're just going to take a penalty stroke?"
"Nope."
"But you went OB. If you're not going to re-tee, you should at least take a penalty stroke."
"Dude, if we were playing in a tournament, there would be a gallery over here," gesturing in the direction of the OB. "My ball would have hit the gallery and bounced back in bounds."

I was speechless and could only respond with a look of bewilderment. I'll have to remember that one the next time I go OB.

2 comments:

Golf Grouch said...

No money on the line, but I do wonder about his handicap...

Anonymous said...

I have to say in my experience that golf gives great insight into peoples lives. The way they handle adversity, how they act when 'no one is looking', outbursts etc...

I have dropped many a ball in this manner for OB balls simply b/c of pace of play as I'm a huge advocate of ready golf and fast play. However, had it been me I would be hitting 4 from that spot given an OB ball. One into the junk, two shot penalty out, lying three and hitting four. To say you are lying one is just blatant cheating to you, the game and himself.

I play a $2 Nassau with my same buds and we all play straight up golf....no handicaps. This guy would NEVER be invited to play in our group. If he cheats on golf rules....