Sunday, July 09, 2006

Headcovers Protect the Clubhead and More

I was flipping through the June 2006 issue of Golf Digest recently and came across "The Golf Guru" column. Every month, the Golf Guru answers questions posed by readers of the magazine. It's somewhat entertaining, but the writer tends to write for chucks at the expense of sound advice. Such was the case in response to a reader's question, "Do headcovers do any good?"

In short, the Golf Guru believes that headcovers were a remnant of the persimmon wood era that serves no functional purpose today. He argues that headcovers did indeed protect "soft-as-cheese persimmon clubheads and the 'whipping' that bound the hosel to the shaft" but is unnecessary for the modern metal-wood.

However, I think that his advice is a little half-baked for several reasons. For one, some of us like to keep our clubheads free of dings and paint chips. Not only is maintaining the clubhead's condition aesthetically pleasing, but it helps preserve the club's resale value.

But one of the best reasons to use a headcover is to protect those precious graphite shafts. I knew a guy who never used a headcover, whether it was on or off the course. He would just let his clubs clang around in his bag unprotected on the golf cart and also in the trunk of his SUV. Then one day he was hitting driver on the and the head snapped off. I think the clubhead flew farther than the ball!

You see, not using a headcover leaves the shaft exposed to the leading edges of any neighboring irons. Like eager beavers chipping away at a tree, the countless mini-dings from these irons can weaken the shaft to the point where it may break. At least that's what the pro shop guy says. Whether it's true or not, why take the chance?

Lastly, a headcover can protect your club from the prying eyes of thieves. With clubs such as the worth as much as some people's cars, a generic headcover is the best deterrent for the growing problem.

As you can see, there are some good reasons to continue using headcovers. But please, for the love of mankind, don't use a tiger headcover unless your name happens to be "Tiger." Otherwise, it's rather poseur-ish.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

I read the same response from the GURU and I'm with you! Protect your investment! It may seem anal to some, but I prefer to keep my clubs (all of them) covered.
While playing I pull covers off as I use a club. I may not put it back on if the neighbooring clubs still have their covers on.
In the interest of pace of play I do NOT make ritual out of covering every club everytime but I monitor that clubs aren't banging against each other during a round. It's easy to do as you return to the cart or pull a club for the next shot.
I play forged clubs and I have seen the damage a putter banging against a brand to new iron can do.
Last thing I do is a head count and cover up job before the tools go back into the trunk of the car!

Anonymous said...

Nothing says new golfer like iron covers, but that being said, do what you must to protect your investment. If you have that new R7, I suggest an old sock as a cover (keep away the prying eyes).

Anonymous said...

To some it may look like a NEW golfer gimic, but for me it keeps my irons from looking like I was landscaping and rock digging with them. Spent a lot of time and money getting those Hogan baldes.
I do use generic wood covers to conceal(and protect) the 510TP, Titelist fairway wood and Sonartec hybrid.

No need to advertise to the unscrupulous.

Unknown said...

I just don't like the clinking sounds of my woods clanging together. Makes me think they're hurting each other, even if it may only be cosmetic damage. I'd rather be silent while i'm walking with my bag.

Anonymous said...

i started off with good intentions to keep covers on my new clubs,but have gradually lost them as i have stormed up the fairway after playing a crap shot and left the cover on the floor...so i have given up and carry them naked(the clubs)

flic said...

I think these covers (for the woods only, I think) make the whole set look rather stylish, actually.

BTW I've added you to my very selective blogroll.

Also, I don't know if you know, but Dubai has some of the most beautiful courses in the world!

woundedduck said...

I use some very sad head covers to deter thieves. Of course, it can hardly be said that I have the latest, greatest woods, but tempting fate is for fools. Actually, I'm toying with the idea of heading to Brookside with a bag full of Goodwill woods covered by the latest headcovers and see what fool tries to steal them. Sitting in the bar, I could make quite a day of it.

woundedduck said...

As an addendum, may I say that I don't comprehend the need for iron headcovers, whatsoever. Afterall, we do strike irons into the GROUND--rocks and all--so I can't quite grasp the importance of protecting between between periods of use as a glorified hoe.

Anonymous said...

I used to use headcovers for my Mizuno blades to prevent them from "dinging eachother" in the bag. I was not a big fan of playing with them covered and having to remove the covers for each shot. Also, there is a bit of a "geek" connotation to iron covers. Then I found the Bennington golf bag which has a slotted top which the irons rest on to keep them in place. It works perfectly. This is not the "rack" which sits on top of the bag and looks like some torture device. Anyway, my irons are four years old and look brand new.

Anonymous said...

i have a tiger headcover because i am cool