Tuesday, June 27, 2006

This Month Marks Two Years of Grouchy Golf!

About two years ago, I was dying to get one of those newfangled Gmail beta accounts. At the time, they were hard to come by, and I was too cheap to buy one on eBay.

I had heard that Google was giving away gmail accounts to users of Blogger, a subsidiary of Google. I figured, what the heck? I'll sign up for a stupid Blogger account to receive a Gmail account. That's easy. I waited and waited, and no gmail invite. I reasoned that I needed to actually use Blogger to receive that coveted Gmail invite. I had never even heard of "blogging". But I was so determined to get that friggin' Gmail account, I started a shill blog called "Grouchy Golf". My first post was short and sweet, because I figured that one post would qualify me for a Gmail account. But when I still didn't receive a Gmail invite, I created another post to better my chances. That began a vicious cycle: no invite, new post, spin cycle, repeat. Eventually, I directed some friends to Grouchy Golf for fun. They got a kick out of it so I continued to create new posts for our amusement. Two years later, and I'm still going strong! The ironic thing is that I never did receive that dog-gone Gmail invite from Blogger! Newman!

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations Grouchy! If I remember right, your first post was about a week before my first post and we quickly linked up. Remember the blogroll back then - There were only like 6 other golf blogs: bunker, blogger vance, MJ, nothree, golfblogger, Eat, and Grouchy... Congrats for hanging in there and giving us something to read (you too GB)

:)

Rich

Blogosion said...

Do you want an invitation for gmail buddy ? ;-))
Keep on posting, that's so funny !
Cheers from France
Julien

MyDailySlice said...

Happy anniversary!

That's a great story how you got started!
I love Golfsmith as well, their Snake eyes components are the best.

I scored a good deal with your F&F discount: I got some Footjoys http://www.golfsmith.com/ps/products/243192
$100 shoes priced at $79.
I'm picking them up locally(to save $12 UPS charge) for $55 (your discount saved me $23)

I've been having some heel pain w/my Bite shoes, so your timing is impeccable!

Thanks again, and I'm glad Google never sent you that email address,!

JFB

Anonymous said...

Congrats Golfie. I've been reading this blog for about a year, and you have an original perspective on our beloved game. That story of how you started blogging makes me laugh. It's funny the way things work out. I hope you're blogging in two MORE years.

AJ
Q-Ray Golf Bracelets

Anonymous said...

Congrats Grouchy,

Your now advertising Golfsmith.

From mean to sleaze in one week.

Can't wait for next week.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the read and congrats for the two years. Kepp typing...

Also thanks code, managed to get two Mizuno MP wedges @ $50.00 off the pair. Even when you add in the int'l shipping still cheaper than I can source locally....

PerfectZero said...

guess I should probably pick up a bag...or two.

Anonymous said...

Two years. Don't know if I can commit to anything for that long. Even if you did have different reasons for starting the blog. Congrats!

mediaguru @ HookedOnGolfBlog.com said...

Grouchy: one of the originals and always one of the best. I remember when I started there were just four or five golf blogs out there. I wanted to be a big boy like the grouch....

Here's to two you buddy. (tips back frosty beverage)...

Anonymous said...

Happy Anniversary! Keep bloggin' my friend...

Anonymous said...

Way to go GG! You are one of the original golf blog pioneers and for that we all thank you.

Happy two year birthday.. Rock on for a hundred more!

Bogey (from BogeyLounge)