Wednesday, June 16, 2004

Golf and eBay

According to Golf World, golf is one of the hottest categories on eBay.

Indeed, eBay has changed my life.

Where else can you bid to play a round with Tiger Woods?

Over the last year or so, I've been buying virtually all of my golf equipment on eBay. Of course, you have to be careful of , but the convenience and savings are truly amazing.

It all started about 3 years ago when I eBayed a new Ping driver with a custom UST Proforce shaft. What would have cost me at least $300 at retail, cost me $200 delivered to my door.

4 months ago, I eBayed a set of brand new Nike Forged Blade Irons with Rifle shafts for $450 delivered. That set would have cost at least $550 at retail before tax and shipping.

Most recently I eBayed a used 34" Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec Putter for $150 delivered. It was in "almost new" condition that sold new for $250 at retail.

Of course, not everything is a bargain. I routinely see special edition Scotty Cameron Putter headcovers exchange hands for $400 and more. Yes, that's correct, headcovers worth more than the putters that they house. If you're going to spend that much money on a headcover, shouldn't you protect it with a putter headcover cover? I guess you could, but I bet those would go for at least $800. Hey, I think I just discovered my next great business idea!

Unfortunately, I still haven't been able to buy a good golf swing on eBay...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree with you man. I buy all my golf equipment from Ebay. I get worried though because I've heard that lately they are making better knockoffs..hmm.

Anonymous said...

i believe I was one who has a knockoff cover.It is a Screaming Yellow studio design headcover. It has the letter i missing in the word design on the top.Spoke with Scotty Cameron and they say it never would have gone out like that and think it is probably a fake.