Wednesday, October 05, 2005

Don't Hate the Player, Hate the Game!

The speculation about Michelle Wie turned into reality this morning as she announced her decision to turn professional. Already, I've read a lot of opinions about it. Interestingly, many of them are negative, especially on the golf message boards.

Quite frankly, it's a shame that people are so down on Michelle. Really, what has she done to draw such ire? Her public image is nice and pleasant. She's about as clean-cut as they come. She's a 15 year-old girl for crying out loud! People who bash a good-natured young girl who's a straight A student need to schedule some time with a therapist.

This is simply a girl who has big dreams - dreams of playing golf for a living. She's fortunate to realize those dreams at a young age and people hate her for it. It seems to me that much of the anti-Wie sentiment is rooted in jealousy and envy. If anything, these Wie-haters should redirect their animosity at the things surrounding Ms. Wie's pro announcement. While I don't think that it's deserved, go ahead and criticize Wie's parents, her agent, her sponsors, her coach, her dog, etc. - just don't hate on her.

Morgan "The Pouting" Pressel will have plenty to say about Wie turning pro. When asked about Wie's endorsement deals, Pressel exclaimed, "She's going to make something like $10 million? For what? For winning one tournament?!" This is just the latest in a long-running whine about Wie. At this year's U.S. Open, Wie shared the lead with Pressel after three rounds. After Pressel finished ahead of Wie, Pressel sounded off on Wie, "she's proven she can't win in pressure situations going into the final round...The biggest tournament in women's golf, she shoots 82...She falters at the end." When asked when Wie would join the LPGA, Pressel shot back, "Never. OK, maybe not never, but not as long as she wants to do her 'woo-woo' thing against the men." Meeyow!

But there are mature and intelligent individuals among Wie's peer group.

As Curtis Cup teammates, Paula Creamer became acquainted with Wie. "We are very good friends," Creamer said. "We have a lot in common. We both love golf and we are both young. We talk a lot, (but) on the golf course everybody is trying to beat everybody. It is all fun, I think, (but) for me I try to win."

When asked about Wie turning pro, Natalie Gulbis said, "I think it's very positive. The publicity that she [Wie] has gotten for herself and also gotten for the LPGA has been extremely positive because more people are talking about Michelle Wie in accordance with the LPGA. And she has raised the bar and also shown how much a female golfer can be paid from an endorsement standpoint."

Paula and Natalie are two of my favorite LPGA pros because they have great attitudes to accompany great games (OK, that's not the real reason I like Natalie). Together with Wie, the LPGA has nowhere to go but up. I know that I'll be watching.

9 comments:

Stacie said...

Good luck Michelle! I don't understand the negativity either. Maybe it's a jealousy thing. She could have a career ending injury tomorrow. Why not make the best of today?

Miranda said...

I can't wait to see Michelle play on tour, LPGA or any other tour, it doesn't matter. The ones saying the negative things need to be careful. Sponsors don't like whiners like that. They like players who promote healthy positive images. Hopefully, Michelle and her people will take the high road and not respond to the criticism with words, but with exciting golf and victories.

Golf Grouch said...

Great comments. Miranda, good point about the sponsors. I think Pressel will learn that lesson the hard way.

I thought it was nice that Wie pledged $500,000 to the U.S. Golf Hurricane Relief Fund. She sounds like a great kid to me.

Anonymous said...

I'm still not convinced that Wie has been brought along properly (has she gotten a taste of victory enough?), but that isn't to say that I'm not extremely impressed with her and incredibly curious to watch her career unfold. I agree with the prevailing opinion that those who bash her are simply jealous, Pressel included.

Bogey McDuff said...

Couldn't agree with you more, Grouch. Any pros or aspiring pros who say anything negative (such as Prickly Pressel) are speaking from jealousy. Tiger wasn't that popular with his peers early on, either. Then they all started seeing their bank accounts grow.

The Complimenting Commenter said...

I think that was a great post about the whole situation. You come at it pretty objectively and note both sides. It'll be interesting to see how things go from here. Great job.

Anonymous said...

Evil,

I'm not saying she should have some Women's Opens and Men's PGA's under her belt. But I do think some victories in significant junior or amateur tournaments would round out her resume a bit. Don't get me wrong, I predict great great things for her, I'm just saying I think she could be a bit better prepared (yes, I'm splitting hairs, but sometimes its the little things that make the difference between a nice little career and an amazing one).

Anonymous said...

Hi - my name is Michael. Just visited your site for the first time, and I really like what you have done with it! I have just started a new golf site myself, and you guys are leaps ahead of me. Anyway - thanks for the great site, I will be back to visit!

Michael

woundedduck said...

Now that Michelle has made her $10 mil, she doesn't need college to learn a trade to fall back on if golf doesn't work out--her retirement's in the bag. Even if her critics think her resume isn't up to snuff, it will be over the next five years, during which she'll probably make another $10 mil in endorsements. Only a fool would have remained amateur in her situation.