Monday, October 04, 2004

Golf and Message Boards

Some of the most useful and free sites on the Internet are message boards. They allow you to find information about almost anything through people with expertise or interest in that subject. Having computer problems? Go to the AnandTech Message Board. Feeling anxious and you don't know why? Consult the WebMD Message Board.

Using these sites is a piece of cake. Typically, there is a simple and brief registration process to become a member. Once a member, you have the ability to post topics to the board for other members to respond. Likewise, you can respond to other members' topics.

So of course there are message boards related to golf. These sites cover just about everything golf-related: swing tips, club reviews, course reviews, and just plain tour gossip. Like golf blogs, there are a handful of golf message boards out there, but I have only discovered two worth visiting.

So far, my favorite is Free Golf Info Forums. They boast over 10,000 registered users who have made nearly 1 million posts. Definitely check this site out.

The other site is Golf Rewind Forums. This site is similar to the other one, but there are only about 800 registered members. Also, the members seem to be a little more "uptight" than others. Case in point, I maintain the same "avatar", or identification graphic, on all the message boards that I belong. Here it is:

However, after several weeks of using this avatar on Golf Rewind Forums, the moderator sends me a message that several members find my avatar "offensive." I was told to change my avatar or I would be kicked out. So I changed my avatar to this:

For some reason, this avatar was not deemed offensive and I was allowed to stay. Go figure.

P.S. Other great golf message boards that I've found include BombSquadGolf.com and GolfWRX. These board specialize in golf equipment discussions, especially the equipment specially made for golf professionals. Definitely check them out as they have quickly become my favorites.

12 comments:

Erik J. Barzeski said...

They are uptight. I called plumb-bobbing stupid and my posts were deleted. :-)

Erik J. Barzeski said...

And then they banned me. Ha! :-)

Golf Grouch said...

Yeah, really ridiculous stuff going on there.

Larry said...

I like the Beetle Juice avatar much more. I think it's obvious why they wanted it changed, they are racist. I'd go back to Beetle Juice or possibly a Hank the Angry Dwarf, may he rest in peace, avatar and if they ban you from the forum - screw 'em. Who really wants to read their lousy comments anyway?

Golf Grouch said...

Thanks for the comments. Actually, I just got banned from that super-uptight site, Golf Rewind Forums.

They were offended by my post, "Do You Ever Lick Your Balls On The Golf Couse?" I was just curious why some people licked their balls clean before they putt. Is there anything wrong with that?

Do yourself a favor and just stick with Free Golf Info Forums.

Anonymous said...

Ha, ha!

I just got banned from there too! :)

I made one post which was edited (the link had WW2 pin up art deemed inappropriate...lol)

I said some truths about the mods on another forum, the rewind storm troopers scoured my site and then banned me.

I'd love to know if their banned list is as long as the member list...:)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the message! I was looking for some great golf boards and these are great.

Anonymous said...

It's a picture- geez! It's one thing for members to complain, but it really says something that the list master caved to the demands of the users.

Anonymous said...

The mods are Golfrewind are terrible

Anonymous said...

I was just banned from there too....for nothing really. I think I'll sign up here.

Anonymous said...

I was just banned from GolfRewinds as well. For "being disrespectful to other members". What that means basically is they you disagree with what one of the mods posts. It is frigging ridiculous. That has got to be the most uptight group of people ever. I never actually flamed anyone. I basically stated my opinions, "the USGA is a fine organization but there not Deities".
"Can you name one tour pro who plays Maxfli? didn't think so, They all play ProV1 unless they are under contract". What is offensive about that? Uber douche bags. I can't wait until my ban is lifted in 3 months so I can go actually flame them all.

Unknown said...

I NEED HELP! I'm planning a golf trip with my buddies and were not sure where to go. I've never played outside of the U.S. before so I need suggestions A.S.A.P. I heard about an adidas promo where they sent two kids to play in 9 different countries so I've been watching the videos for that but so far Germany and Norway doesn't seem like much. HELP ME OUT!!